Foto al Vuelo / Photo in Flight – Photo contest
Explore some of the best birding sites in Zapata Swamp where most of the 26 endemic birds can be found. Each day there are two field trips on either side of a relaxing lunch at interesting places. Finish the day on the beach with a fabulous sunset. There will be a night in Havana at either end. Transportation, meals, registration, lodging and guides are included.
Airfare and visa not included.
Sample Itinerary for Foto al Vuelo
Day 1 Sunday
- Arrival, overnight in Havana
Day 2 Monday
- 8:30 AM Departure from Havana to Zapata Swamp
- 11:00 AM Arrival and welcome
- Inauguration Ceremony
- Brief explanation about Zapata Swamp National Park
- Introduction of the Jury and briefing.
Day 3, 4, & 5 Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
- 6:30 Departure to field trips. Each day includes 2 trails, 1morning and 1 afternoon
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Some of the trails will be:
- Soplillar – woodpeckers and migrants. Easy flat path.
- Las Salinas – waterbirds, flamingos. Easy flat path.
- Los Hondones – good birds, interesting community. Easy flat path.
- Enigma de las Rocas – interesting geological formation, swimming? Rocky terrain.
- Las Bermejas – parakeets, bee humming bird. Easy flat terrain.
- La Turba – Zapata wren and Zapata sparrow possible. 2 miles out and back, flat, easy.
- Return at 6:00 PM
- Dinner at the hotel.
Day 6 Friday
- Select and enter the photographs to the computer for the jury.
- 13:00 hrs. Photographs must be submitted.
- 7:30 Award ceremony. Presentation of Foto al Vuelo awards.
Day 7 Saturday
- 8:00 hrs. Breakfast at the hotel.
- 10:00 Check out. Transfer to Havana. Stay in Havana one night. Fly out next day.