Foto al Vuelo / Photo in Flight – Photo contest
Explore some of the best birding sites in Zapata Swamp where many of the 26 endemic birds can be found. Each day there are two field trips on either side of a relaxing lunch at interesting places. Finish the day at Playa Giron Hotel on the beach with a fabulous
sunset. There will be a night in Havana at either end. Transportation, meals, registration, lodging and guides are included.
Airfare and visa not included.
Sample Itinerary for Foto al Vuelo
- Arrival, overnight in Havana
- 8:30 hrs. Departure from Havana hotel to Playa Girón Hotel in Zapata Swamp.
- 11:00 hrs. Arrival at Playa Girón Hot
Check in and Accreditation.
- 12:00 – 13:30 hrs. Lunch at the hotel.
- 13:30 – 20:00 hrs. On your own, rest, unpack, beach.
(dinner perhaps? I will need to see)
- 20:00 hrs. Inauguration Ceremony at Las Brisas meeting rooms.
- Brief explanation about Zapata Swamp National Park
- Introduction of the Jury and briefing.
- 20:30 hrs. Dinner. As 8:30 pm is a late dinner, we might arrange to eat earlier.
Day 3, 4, & 5
- 6:30 Departure to field trips. Each day includes 2 trails, 1morning and 1 afternoon
- Lunch at a local restaurant (Punta de Perdiz or Caleta Buena). These are beach sites.
- Some of the trails will be:
- Soplillar – woodpeckers and migrants. Easy flat path.
- Las Salinas – waterbirds, flamingos. Easy flat path.
- Los Hondones – good birds, interesting community. Easy flat path.
- Enigma de las Rocas – interesting geological formation, swimming? Rocky terrain.
- Las Bermejas – parakeets, bee humming bird. Easy flat terrain.
- La Turba – Zapata wren and Zapata sparrow possible. 2 miles out and back, flat, easy.
- Return to the hotel at 18.00 hrs.
- Dinner at the hotel.
- Free Morning and time to select and deliver the photographs to the jury.
- 13:00 hrs. Photographs must be submitted.
- Lunch and Dinner, schedule is ambiguous, we will fill it with something fun.
- 20:30 hrs. Award ceremony. Presentation of Foto al Vuelo 2018.
- 8:00 hrs. Breakfast at the hotel.
- 9:00 hrs. Check out. Transfer to Havana. Stay in Havana one night. Fly out next day.